Friday, November 18, 2011

Discovering the southern suburbs...


This year I've been more adventurous driving in city traffic. I got my licence in Cawdor, a rural township where a traffic jam meant a herd of cattle on the road or sheep or horses up ahead. Driving in suburban Sydney is daunting for me. I spent the greater part of winter on the road discovering op shops in Sydney's south.

HURSTVILLE: 'Vinnies' in Hurstville is enormous. It's spacious, well-organised, a good place to stock up on the necessities. I bought several jumpers, blouses and my sorbet coloured Ben Sherman jacket from here. It lifts my mood every time I wear it. 'Vinnies' Hurstville is a rewarding op shop experience but I was disappointed they didn't have a better selection of dresses.

ROCKDALE: The dreses, I was next to discover, are hiding in Rockdale. 'Vinnies' Rockdale has an entire section dedicated to retro wear including 80s dresses, suits and skirts. I bought a sweet little dress in pale pink for $8.00 and a late 90s sundress with wildflower patterns for $4.00. I like collecting dresses that are a bit different and that I know won't be worn by anyone else.



                           Vinnies Australia via YouTube

I genuinely take pride in supporting St Vincent de Paul through op shopping. I volunteer with their Compeer program. It recognises the importance of friendship to everyone and helps people living with a mental illness to overcome social isolation.

Vinnies Hurstville, 183C Forest Road, Hurstville, NSW
Vinnies Rockdale, 445 Princes Highway, Rockdale, NSW

No comments:

Post a Comment