Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mittagong intermezzo...

Yesterday I went on a day trip to Mittagong in the Southern Highlands. I travelled by train because it's less expensive and my CNS couldn't handle another car journey. I arrived in historic Mittagong  just in time for morning tea.



I intended to start my shopping at Mittagong Antique Centre which is an 'old-school' harvest  of antiques and collectables, including vintage clothing and fabric.  I got side-tracked by Vinnies where I discovered many embroidered doilies and two rose-pattered covers that are perfect for my balcony cushions.



I popped into a little shop called 'vintage daze' on Main St. The owners seemed to be in the process of moving or rearranging the store as the contents of the shop were mostly on the pavement outside.




















To Mittagong Antique Centre and the sole purpose of my trip... Six months ago I saw a water jug with hand-painted blue swallows at the front of the store. It suits the aviary theme in my apartment. I was still thinking about it and it was still there (although slightly further back)... but now it's safe in a cupboard at home waiting for me to host an afternoon tea.



I also purchased a 1960s sleeveless top - it was just so 'groovy' I had to have it...Unfortunately it's meant for tall, thin people in platform shoes. FAIL!!!

Three places to shop in Mittagong...


1. Mittagong Antiques Centre 85-87 Main St, Mittagong - half my tea cup collection is from here
2. Vinnies Mittagong 22 Bowral Rd, Mittagong- I rate this Vinnies for the doilies and pillow/cushion covers
3. Hunters & Collectors Antiques 8 Bowral Rd, Mittagong - not a great antique store but their range of retro wear is extensive & affordable. I once bought a 1980s skirt in bright blue, orange & purple for $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment