Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My road trip to Canberra (with $23.00 to spend)...



Plus $58.80 for fuel and tolls.


I started my Canberra day with coffee at the National Library café, sitting on the patio looking over Lake Burley Griffin, reading Alain de Botton’s The Romantic Movement.



Leaving the majesty of the National Library behind, my three hour shopping blitz began at itrip iskip on Lonsdale Street. Lonsdale Street is the Cuba Street of Canberra – colourful, funky...







....and home to my favourite little shop in Canberra



itrip iskip has astroturf carpeting and vintage china cabinets filled with handmade jewellery. Even cuter, there’s a red piano at the back of the shop!









It’s the best place for unusual jewellery and quirky clothes. I spent my last $19 on a cupcake brooch to match Saturday’s Camden dress. So sweet…



Money spent, it was safe to proceed along Lonsdale Street to the City Centre. I visited the Hive gallery (gift shop) and Pink Ink boutique along the way.



I love a CBD with a merry-go-round!

On to Canberra’s Shop Handmade, an extensive collection of handmade jewellery that almost made me wish I hadn’t spent my money at itrip, iskip. Almost…
















Five places to shop in Canberra...


1. itrip iskip – eclectic boutique, aimed at a youth market but works for any age
2. Shop Handmade – dozens of handcrafters sell their jewellery here
3. National Library shop – it’s just nice to be in a bookshop
4. Hive gallery – perfect selection of gifts & cards for Xmas
5. Pink Ink boutique – only if you’ve got a lot of money to spend, the price tag on one dress was $529 (the dress wasn’t vintage)




I drove for 7.5 hours and got home at 7pm. My road trip would not have been possible without my trusty Toyota Corolla and the following soundtrack...




1. “Poker Face” Lady Gaga from The Fame Monster – driving along the Federal Highway loudly singing it
2. “Gone” Indigo Girls from Beauty Queen Sister – a ‘leave it all behind’ tune
3. “Hungry Eyes” Eric Carmen from Dirty Dancing (soundtrack) – my absolute favourite movie
4. “Hate on Me” Glee cast from Glee: The soundtrack – it’s about self-empowerment
5. “The Cradle Song” composed by J.S. Skinner, perf. Chris Duncan, Julian Thompson, Catherine Strutt from Life is Beautiful with ABC Classic Fm Vol. 3 – a good relax, ‘I got home safely’ song





No comments:

Post a Comment